Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October 2

I was out of town yesterday and, by the time I got back home, didn't have much time to be on the internet before I had to go to bed. 
I delevered a few Gifts to my daughter to give to her children on Christmas. She has much more storage room than I do. and I won't have to ship if I'm too far away for us to drive to her place. Win Win.
 
* * * * *
Recipe for Friendship Tea
 
2 cups Tang orange drink
 
1 package Wylers Lemonade Mix
 
1 1/2 cup sugar
 
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
 
1 teaspoon ground cloves
 
1/2 cup instant tea
 
Mix well and store in an airtight container
 
To serve: 2 rounded teaspoons to 1 cup boiling water.
 
 
* * * * *
Fruited Cranberry Relish
 
1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
1 medium tart apple, sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup sugar
 
Directions
 
In a food processor, combine all ingredients; cover and process until fruit is chopped. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
 
Taste Of Home Country Cooking 1996
 
 
* * * * *

I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinker Toy
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use our dirty chimney flue
Just bring him through the front door, that's the easy thing to do

I can see me now on Christmas morning, creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise when I open up my eyes
to see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
I only like hippopotamuses
And hippopotamuses like me too

Mom says the hippo would eat me up, but then
Teacher says a hippo is a vegeterian

There's lots of room for him in our two-car garage
I'd feed him there and wash him there and give him his massage
I can see me now on Christmas morning, creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise when I open up my eyes
to see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles or rhinoceroseses
I only like hippopotamuseses
And hippopotamuses like me too!

 
 
* * * * *
 

Always use your imagination and be creative when building these kids crafts or any others. It's your creation, so be inventive when looking for building supplies — you just may be surprised! When building your project, experiment with new and different ways of putting it together. The most important thing is to have fun.

12


Find these or similar supplies!

• Plastic Container
• Masking tape
• Cork (four pieces) or used toilet paper tubes
• Some old cardboard or construction paper
• Markers or pens for customizing

1


1. Trim your corks!

The first step to making this awesome hippo is trimming the cork legs. You will need to cut the corks at an angle so that the legs will fit on the side of your container. Depending on the shape of your container you may not need to do this.

2


2. Draw out Hippo's body parts!

The next step is drawing out all of your parts. You will need a pair of eyes, nostrils, ears, and two big hippo teeth. Don't forget the tail! Cut these out when you have some designs you like.

3


3. Attach Hippo's body parts!

Now you can tape on your eyes, ears, teeth and tail. Try holding up the features to get everything the way you like it.

The simple version is complete! This cute hippo is easy and fun to make. From here you can decorate your hippo however you'd like.

5


4. Ready for the fancy version?

Now for the fancy version! We started out covering everything in a base layer of masking tape. This adds lots of texture to the project.

6


5. Tape up your body parts!

Next we then covered all the body parts in tape, making them easier to color on later.

7


6. Attach Hippo's body parts!

After covering everything with tape we put on the legs and face just like the simple version.

8 9


7. Decorate your Hippo!

The final step is the most fun... Decorating! We decided to make our hippo have a nice muddy complexion, but you can color your hippo any way you like. Voila! Hogan the Humongous Hippo!

11

 
 
* * * * *
Things to do at Christmas time, Make Peppermint ice cream.
 
 
Peppermint Ice Cream

I love peppermint ice cream! Too bad around here the grocery stores only stock it during the holiday season. This week I decided to make my own and got some great advice from the king of desserts himself, David Lebovitz on just how to go about it. David is coming out with a book on ice cream this spring (keep your eye out for it) so he should know. I fudged a bit with the ingredient proportions that David gave me, but the method is all his. Thank you David.

As with French vanilla ice cream this method requires cooking a custard to add to the cream. It's a little more work, but the egg yolks are what makes the homemade ice cream divinely creamy. Otherwise, without all the emulsifiers that typically go into the store bought versions, homemade ice cream can be a bit icy. If I'm going to go to the trouble to make something from scratch, I want it to taste better than what I can buy from a store, and this does.

Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe

 

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 8 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or hard peppermint candy

Method

Special equipment needed
An ice cream maker or a KitchenAid mixer with an ice cream attachment

1 Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Make sure the sugar and salt completely dissolve.

peppermint-icecream-1.jpg
2 Pour the cream into a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and set a medium-mesh sieve on top.

peppermint-icecream-2.jpg
3 In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

peppermint-icecream-3.jpg
4 Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden or heatproof rubber spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula, about 5-7 minutes.

peppermint-icecream-4.jpg
5 Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Then stir until cool over the ice bath. Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.

6 One the mixture is thoroughly chilled, add peppermint extract, a 1/4 teaspoon at a time, tasting the mixture after each addition, until you reach the desired level of peppermintiness. (Different peppermint extracts vary in strength. I used 2 teaspoons of McCormick peppermint extract, which was just the right amount for our taste.)

7 Once chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

peppermint-icecream-5.jpg
8 Once the ice cream has been formed in the ice cream maker, it will be fairly soft. Fold in the crushed peppermint candy. Put in an airtight plastic container and place in the freezer for at least an hour, preferably several hours. If it has been frozen for more than a day, you may need to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften it before serving.

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

 
* * * * *
 
 
 
* * * * *
 
 
 
 
 
 
* * * * *
 
 

Billie C.

No comments:

Post a Comment