Saturday, August 11, 2012

Aug 11

 
* * * * *
 
 
From the Lady and Son's Savannah Country Cookbook
 
Yields 6 to 7 dozen
 
Butter Cookies
 
1 cup sugar
2 cups sugar for decoration
 
3/4 pound (3 sticks) butter
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups bread flour
 
Gradually cream 1 cup sugar into butter. Add egg yolks and vanilla.
Mix well. Gradually add flour. Wrap dough in wax paper to be
refrigerated for 2 hours. When chilled, place on a ungreased cookie
sheet. Bake at 375 for 10- 15 mins. do not let them brown. Cool on
rack . When cool, dip in remaining sugar if you wish.
 
* * * * *

All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth

Every body stops
and stares at me
These two teeth are
gone as you can see
I don't know just who
to blame for this catastrophe!
But my one wish on Christmas Eve
is as plain as it can be!

All I want for Christmas
is my two front teeth,
my two front teeth,
see my two front teeth!

Gee, if I could only
have my two front teeth,
then I could be with you
"Merry Christmas."
It seems so long since I could say,
"Sister Susie sitting on a thistle!"

Gosh oh gee, how happy I'd be,
if I could only whistle (thhhh)

All I want for Christmas
is my two front teeth,
my two front teeth,
see my two front teeth.
Gee, if I could only
have my two front teeth,
then I could wish you
"Merry Christmas!"

 
 
How to Make a Crocheted Greeting Card Bowl
Crocheted Greeting Card Bowl

Crocheted Greeting Card Bowl

Submitted by Edith
Edith shares how she turned a handful of greeting cards into a beautiful bowl or basket.

  • Age Guideline: 8 Years and Up
  • Time Required: 60+ minutes (Does not include drying time)

The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.

Materials Needed:

Instructions:
Edith used Christmas cards but you can use cards from any occasion. She started out by sorting her cards by theme, such as angels, nativity, animals, children. She then matches them into 7 pairs. She decides which ones she wants to be seen more and used them for the inside of the bowl.

She used a pattern similar to the one I provide here. Use the pattern for the bottom of the bowl to cut two of your greeting cards (one of your pairs). Use the side pattern to cut out the remaining 12 cards (6 pairs). Glue your pairs together, picture side facing out, making sure the edges match up. Let the glue dry.

Now you need to punch the holes around the edge of the card pieces. Edith suggests you star by punching holes in the corners and then try to evenly space them about 3/4" apart. once you get one of the sides done, use that as a template for punching the holes in the other units. Use the holes in the bottom edge of the side units to punch holes around the bottom edge.

Edith then made 3 single crochet stitches in each hole and 6 single crochet stitches in the corners, leaving a long thread to use to sew the sides of them together. Once she crocheted around all of her greeting cards, she used her crochet stitches as a guide and sewed all the pieces together using the long thread.

As a finishing touch, she crocheted an edging of single crochet stitches or shell stitches around the top of the bowl.

Edith says, "Makes a nicer looking and longer lasting bowl. I put some shiny glass Christmas ornaments in the bowl and use on the coffee table. I also put bags of homemade cookies or candies in them as gifts. These are a great take-a-long project as they can be done in separate parts and put together at the end."

 
 
 
* * * * *

things to do at Christmas time
 
Watch The Santa Clause.

The Santa Clause is a 1994 fantasy-dramedy film directed by John Pasquin. It is distributed by The Walt Disney Company and starring Tim Allen. In the film, Allen plays Scott Calvin, an ordinary man who accidentally causes Santa Claus to fall to his death from his roof on Christmas Eve. When he and his young son, Charlie, finish the late, legendary St. Nick's trip and deliveries, they go to the North Pole where Scott learns he must become the new Santa and convince those he loves that he is indeed Father Christmas.

The film was followed by two sequels, 2002's The Santa Clause 2 and 2006's The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause.

 
* * * * *

Angel colouring page
 
* * * * *

Christmas site link
 
 
* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment