Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Aug 15

 
 
 

Choc. Covered Cherries

Fondant – Melt over low heat:

3 T butter
1/4 C evaporated milk
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt

Remove from heat –

Add gradually (4 1/4 C powdered sugar 1#)

Turn onto board – sprinkled with powdered sugar

Work until smooth.

Drain 24 maraschino cherries & cover with fondant.

Heat choc. chip until melts.

Drop into choc & remove with 2 forks.

Chill on waxed paper.

 

* * * * *

 
"The Shepherds Had An Angel"
 by Christina G. Rossetti
from the IDEALS Christmas Magazine 1961

The Shepherds had an Angel,
The Wise Men had a star,
But what have I, a little child,
To guide me home from far,
Where glad stars sing together,
And singing Angels are?

Lord Jesus is my Guardian,
So I can nothing lack:
The lambs lie in His bosom
Along life's dangerous track:
The wilful lambs that go astray
He bleeding fetches back.

Lord Jesus is my guiding star,
My beacon light in heaven:
He leads me step by step along
The path of life uneven:
He, true light, leads me to their land
Whose day shall be at seven.

Those Shepherds through the lonely light
Sat watching by their sheep,
Until they saw the heavenly host,
Who neither tire nor sleep,
All singing "Glory, glory,"
In festival they keep.

Christ watches me, His little lambs;
Cares for me day and night,
That I may be His own in heaven:
So angels clad in white,
Shall sing their "Glory, glory"
For my sake in the height.

The Wise Men left their country
To journey morn by morn,
With gold and frankincense and myrrh,
Because the Lord was born:
God sent a star to guide them
And sent a dream to warn.
My life is like their journey,
Their star is like God's book;
I must be like those good Wise Men
With heavenward heart and look:
But shall I give no gifts to God?
What precious gifts they took!

Lord, I will give my love to Thee,
Than gold much costlier,
Sweeter to Thee than frankincense,
More prized than choicest myrrh;
Lord, make me dearer day by day,
Day by day holier;

Nearer and dearer day by day,
Till I my voice unite,
And sing my "Glory, glory"
With angels clad in white;
All "Glory, glory" given to Thee
Through all the heavenly height.

* * * * *

 
Button Wreath Ornament
Martha Stewart Living Television

Colorful stray buttons can be put to new use as Christmas ornaments. If you don't have enough loose buttons, or the right colors, don't worry -- stores sell them by the bagful. Kids will enjoy this project because each wreath they make will be unique.

Tools and Materials

Needle-nose pliers or wire cutters
16-gauge copper wire, or 22-gauge green floral wire, cut to 9-inch lengths
72 buttons for each wreath
Scissors
Satin ribbon, 1/8 inch wide and 6 inches long
Seam binding for decorative bow

Button Wreath Ornament How-To

1. Using pliers, make a small loop at one end of the wire.

2. Thread buttons onto the wire until you have enough to form the size of the wreath you want. Our wreaths are 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

3. Using pliers, bend the plain end of the wire around the looped end. This will form the wreath.

4. Use the satin ribbon to make a loop for hanging the wreath; tie the ribbon in a knot about 3 inches above the wreath.

5. Tie a bow of seam binding to decorate the wreath.

Resources

16-gauge copper wire and 22-gauge silver-plate wire available at local craft and hardware-supply stores. 22-gauge green floral wire available at local floral-supply stores.

* * * * *


things to do at christmas time, Make fudge.
 
Easy Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge
 
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can Eagle Brand milk
2 heaping tbsp. peanut butter
 
Place chocolate chips and milk in microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir in 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter. Spread in pan. Cool and cut.
 
* * * * *

 
 
Here are some of the most beloved Christmas poems and stories for your entertainment.

The Night Before Christmas By Clement Clarke Moore
"Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house..."

The Twelve Days of Christmas
"On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me..."

Christmas Bells By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"I heard the bells on Christmas day..."

 
 

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment